Casual blazers seem to be making a bit of a comeback. And one of the most common ways I see people wearing them is over a t-shirt.
This looks great because it keeps the outfit looking relaxed. It’s the type of outfit you can wear pretty much anywhere and still fit in.
And creating outfits with this pairing is pretty easy. Most people will already have at least some pieces in their wardrobe they can use.
Before we jump into the blazer with t-shirt outfits, here are some of the key points to consider when wearing this combination.
- It’s completely ok to wear a t-shirt with a blazer. It’s a stylish look in all but the most formal situations.
- The key to the look is the t-shirt and blazer you choose. I like a more casual blazer: perhaps with a slightly unstructured fit or an unusual color.
- You can tuck your t-shirt in or leave it out. It really depends on the rest of your outfit. I usually leave mine untucked.
- Many types of t-shirts work with a blazer, but I especially like those that are plain or striped. I avoid logos and graphics except for super casual outfits.
- In the majority of cases, it’s best to leave the blazer button undone when wearing a blazer with a t-shirt. It just keeps the overall vibe a little more casual.
- I like to wear either minimal sneakers or canvas shoes with casual blazer and t-shirt outfits. You can wear dress shoes when the outfit is a little smarter.
8 Stylish Ways to Wear a T-shirt and a Blazer
With Smart Pants
Wearing smart pants with a blazer and t-shirt is your best option if you want the outfit to be as formal as possible. You could even go for a full suit with a t-shirt. This type of outfit will do in all but the most formal of situations. Just make sure a collar isn’t expected before you show. Although you can tone it down a lot by choosing a more casual fit or color.
With Dark Jeans or Chinos
Wearing dark jeans or navy chinos with a t-shirt and a blazer is the next step down from wearing slacks. Dark, unworn jeans in black or indigo can be pretty smart when worn right. Choose a tailored fit for a look that is closer, or go relaxed for a more modern outfit. if you need some color inspiration, here are all the shirt colors that go great with navy pants.
With a Striped Shirt
The majority of blazer and t-shirt combinations use a plain t-shirt. This makes a ton of sense as these t-shirts can be pretty smart. But, I also think that a striped shirt can go really well with a blazer. Just choose colors that complement the rest of your outfit. The offwhite in the image above goes well with the light blue jeans and gray blazer.
With Casual Jeans
Casual jeans go well with a t-shirt and a blazer because if you want to go for a super relaxed outfit. Choose some light wash, loose-fitting jeans and pair it with a relaxed blazer. This is the outfit where I think you could get more experimental with your t-shirts. Different patterns or even graphics could work here.
Try a Monochrome Look
I really like this monochrome outfit. It’s dark yet by choosing different shades and textures there are still plenty of points of differentiation. And the faded jeans ensure that even with a black blazer, the outfit doesn’t look too formal.
With a Button-Up T-Shirt
A button up t-shirt or polo-shirt is a good option if you want to wear a t-shirt while still wearing a collar. The key choice is to choose an item that goes with the rest of the outfit. I wouldn’t wear a polo-shirt instead of a shirt though if a collar is required at the event you are intending. In this case, just stick with a shirt.
Also Read: Button-up vs. button-down: Whats’s the Difference?
With an Oversized Blazer
We all saw Justin Bieber rock the Grammys in a huge oversized suit with a t-shirt underneath. An easier way into this look is to wear a slightly oversized or destructured blazer over a t-shirt and some casual pants. I like the example in the image above. It’s a super casual outfit that looks effortlessly stylish.
With an Unusual Color Blazer
Wearing an interesting color is possible when wearing a t-shirt with a blazer because the outfit is so casual. I wouldn’t ever wear a burgundy suit, but by the blazer looks good when pared with casual jeans and sneakers.